Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Frosted Carrot Cake

I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

LOL I like to cook. Recently I decided to try my hand at this new recipe for carrot cake I got on the internet. I love carrot cake. If I had some big occasion where I needed a nice dessert (I refuse to say at my wedding because that is looking next to never gonna happen) that would be one of my top 3 choices.

It had all sorts of delicious things in there like coconut, pineapple and nuts etc. I even decided to go all out and make a cream cheese icing to put on top. It was delicious! Only thing is I think the recipe is a little too oily. So the next time I do that recipe I a going to change it up some.

I'll share the recipe. But please heed to that word of caution about the oil. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
2 cups finely grated carrots
1 (8 1/2 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut (opt.)

***Cream Cheese Icing:***
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla1 (16 oz.) box confectioners' sugar, sifted

DIRECTIONS:
Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda andsalt into large mixing bowl. Add carrots, pineapple, nuts andcoconut. Blend thoroughly until moist. Grease 3 (9") round cakepans; line with waxed paper. Divide batter equally among pans.Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 to 15 minutesin pans. Turn onto wire racks; cool completely. Fill and frostlayers with Cream Cheese Icing. Cake will keep covered inrefrigerator for two weeks. Cream Cheese Icing: Combine butter, cream cheese and vanillain small bowl. Cream well. Add sugar gradually, beating untilsmooth. If mixture is too thick, add small amount of milk to thin.

Yield: Approx 12 Servings

No comments: