Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A friend in need...

"Needing a man is like needing a parachute. If he isn't there the first time you need him, chances are you won't be needing him again."
-- Author Unknown


Maybe I have surrounded myself with the wrong kind of people. But I realize that more and more people are selfish and insular. I don’t know if we’re all overwhelmed by the challenges life throws us so much so that we are too spent on our own problems to even be concerned about someone else as a means of self preservation. The irony is that usually it’s easier to cope when we share with each other rather than our natural instinct to act niggardly.

Case in point, last weekend I had battery problems. There is this coworker who lives very close to me and I had expressed having this difficulty to him. A few months ago when they had stolen his car I would take him to work and bring him home a few times just to help out a little. I guess it was too much to expect that he would offer to assist me in some way or even enquire as to how I would be getting to work Monday morning. Haha I don’t think so… In fact I was very late for work Monday morning and it never dawned on him to even ask if I got through when I finally arrived. LOL

Too often I have been bitten by overextending myself to people who won’t consider doing the same for me. I have decided to be more selfish for my own protection. But somehow that isn’t really who I am and it’s difficult to just turn a blind eye when I can easily help.

No comments: