Sunday, July 08, 2007

Questions, Expectations and Answers

I think we’re all guilty of at some time asking something of someone and because of past experience or some influence, we’ve built up what we would like the response to be. Usually this expectation is something that will swing the question in the way we please. However, this is the remedy for disaster when we don’t get the response we would like.

What I would like for us to remember is that when a question is asked, that the response can be at least either of two outcomes – an affirmative and a negative. It doesn’t make the person who gives you an answer a bad person if they don’t respond in the way they expect you to. By virtue of the fact that you asked a question of them, you gave them a choice and they have every right to exercise any option they feel suits them.

Where does all of this come from? LOL Funny enough at work. I was in my little cubicle one day on the phone doing some research on parts I needed to get for my car. A guy from another department happened to come by my department, looked at my desk which is in clear view from the door, sighted some mangoes I had on my desk and proceeded to come by to stand right at my desk.

I didn’t put the call on hold because it was really important - a cellular phone call at that, and the person I was speaking with was in kind of a rush. This bold young man stands and waits by my desk no less than 2 minutes while I rushed through the call. After all his waiting earnestly has got to be important. At the end of the call, I acknowledge him, “Yes Ryan?” His response, “I can get one of your mangoes?” while pointing to the three fruits on my desk as if I didn’t know what a mango was.

I was in shock. You came in to my cubicle. Stood there for over 2 minutes within listening range of my personal call to come ask me for a mango? Could you not have left when you saw me on the phone and come back later to request it? Such gall!

“No…” and I feel no remorse. Had he not intruded on the little space I am given from 8am to 5pm like that I would have given him one. How rude!! It’s not an office but that 6’ x 6’ space is mine and is to be kept private no matter how open it may seem.


Needless to say I am in his black book. I am sure. But! I don’t care. Sorry.

There goes the months of good coworker relations shot to hell in 5 minutes. LOL Ah well….

2 comments:

Camille said...

gurl, you getting more and more like me - why is that i wonder? =)

but i agree with you - people have NO respect for personal space and privacy. i have the same issues here at work. and people seem to think that since the office is public space, there is no concept of personal privacy.

ya. right. back to the dark ages, shall we?

Mizkoncepcion said...

Cuz we're sensible people... DUH!