Thursday, June 28, 2007

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

It’s true what they say… "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Isn’t life funny like that? Imagine trying to do something good and it backfires in your face. Well intended acts can have disastrous results. Just sad.

I’ve never felt like that statement was more appropriate than just now. Imagine being in an excellent mood and pretty playful. I overheard that a friend was going on some fabulous trip which sounded pretty exciting. It was told to a mutual friend. It isn’t a secret or anything like that. So I decided to ask about the impending vacation in a cutsie way so I could get more details straight from the source.

Me: So… what’s new?
I get a list of things…
Me: Good for you (Y)
Me: Nothing else...? *-)
3rd Party: nothing else came to mind
Me: lol
Me: Nothing else happening soon?
3rd Party: like?
Me: I dunno.
Me: Things you would find in a fortune cookie.
Me: Maybe you're gonna come across some money
Me: Or you'll find true love
Me: Or you'll travel
Me: Or you'll be happy
Me: Or... you know... those things!
Me: :D
3rd Party: havent had chinese in a while

So after that I just came out and asked the person about the travel plans and whether or not they wanted me to know… That conversation right there pissed them off and I was accused of trying to deceive them. Puhlease give me more credit than that. My phishing expeditions are a lot craftier than that. Hmph!!

Needless to say it shot my good mood to shit. I can’t believe how that backfired. It was supposed to be a fun moment. I was even bouncing in my chair. :(

After all of that… I am just pessimistic. Good thing it happened. I don’t need that kind of negativity anyway. Pfffffft… Totally put off.

I will take accusations when they’re even in near range of the target. But that one? Waaaaaaaaay off base.

4 comments:

Camille said...

odd... really odd. what were they thinking? *thinking smiley*

i can think of a dozen reasons why the reaction seems guilty. but let's not go there, let's just move on past it and reach for the next fun moment, eh? ;)

Mizkoncepcion said...

You know... I would really love it if you could shed some light on what the hell they could have been thinking... please?

Camille said...

well, i would only be guessing.

but here's what i am thinking:

(1) it was just a story given to the mutual friend and not 100% true
(2) they really didn't want you to know because they didn't want you feeling bad
(3) they really didn't want you to know because they don't really like you
(4) they were upset that you found out before they could tell you
(5) they're just a prick who thinks the world of themselves and needs to be brought down a peg or 2.
(6) your approach annoyed them in the first instance (it can be annoying :P) and they just forgot about the main point of the whole conversation.

ok - none of those FEEL right, but they are where my head went when i read the story.

Mizkoncepcion said...

I fully understand the reaction if they thought the approach was annoying. Could very well be bad timing. But the person was in a good mood. And after the fact they did relate the incident as deceiving rather than annoying and so the deceit was the point of their annoyance.

In any event… does it change the motive if the person who overreacted apologizes?