Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What’s in a name?

Main Entry: Pathetic Phallusy
Pronunciation: puh-THET-ik FAL-uh-see
Function: Adjective

So you might be wondering why the name of my blog is Pathetic Phallusy. And before I get any cheeky suggestions as to my ignorance - I’d like to dispel such anxieties by proclaiming that there is a method to my madness.

I needed a unique phrase that would adequately define what this blog is about, yet would remain abstract enough to have the meaning evolve as this blog matures… That’s the textbook answer. *smilez*

Anyway, the word is a derivative of the literary term Pathetic Fallacy which is when we give “life” to inanimate objects i.e. make them seem human. One example I remember from all the way back in High School is – “The sea is pregnant.” That makes my mind imagine the large waves coming in with the tide. Anyway, I digress…

So I decided to make a pun of that term. (I am starting to sound like I am lecturing in Literature). Now, a pun is a mischievous way of confusing similarly sounding words to give a different meaning to the word. Notice how “Pathetic Fallacy” and “Pathetic Phallusy” sound alike? While “Phallusy” isn’t a real word, it is my creation from the word “Phallus” which means something that is penis-shaped (I should copyright it).

So to look a bit deeper at the situation, you know how people usually connote people who act stupid / silly / do senseless things and especially when what is done offends as pricks / dick-heads? Yep! Phallus-like.

Hehe! So to bring this argument full circle now… People who do stupid things are pathetic. LOL And I’m sure that I will be mentioning a lot of the stupid acts I come across on a daily basis as I do.

Enjoy!

No comments: