Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I know that the tradition of the American Thanksgiving commemorates back in 1621 when the pilgrims settled by Plymouth Rock in MA and the native Indians had a feast to welcome them. Since then the meal portion of that piece of history has exploded in to an excuse for stuffing yourselves (no pun intended) on turkey especially – so much so that the day has come to be called “Turkey Day.”

Thanksgiving is now always the fourth Thursday in the month of November for the Americans, but to my surprise on of the Presidents (don’t remember which) tried to move it to the third Thursday. Why? Because of “Black Friday.” Black Friday is the biggest shopping day in the States – even more so than the days before and after Christmas. Why the name Black Friday? Well it’s because at that time of the year most retail stores make the most profits and so they move from out of the red aka bankruptcy / functioning at a loss. I would think it should be called Green Friday – get it? Anyway… corny!

So President Roosevelt (I looked it up) decided that that would give retailers an extra week to make money. Plus this was all during the Depression and all of that so I guess he was trying to help the economy… it went on for about two years like that. However, the traditionists fought out that idea and it was reinstated and placed in the Constitution.

Anyway… enough history. It’s just fresh in my mind because I am home sick and watched this program on National Geographic called “Thanksgiving Unstuffed.” It was quite interesting. Y’all should check it out.

There is so much in life that we sometimes take for granted and just forget to give thanks for. Even though we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Jamaica I cannot help but to reflect on thoughts of gratefulness that lingers with me on a day like today. Why? Simply because of the name of the holiday. And traditionally Christians give thanks to God at this time of the year for the food that they have at the close of the harvest.

So what would I like to give God thanks for? I thank God for:

  • Life – the air I breathe, my beating heart, all my life functions
  • Salvation – knowing that there is a better place somewhere out there than here where we struggle
  • Family – even though they piss me off I still can’t live without them
  • Mitchie (subset of family) – my dog; that guy makes me so happy
  • Friends – extended family, for those who have come in to our lives and left an impression
  • Love – to be able to love and to be loved
  • Food – sustenance
  • Home – more than just shelter, the people and memories make a home
  • Health – aside from a little flu I can still see, smell (kinda), taste (somewhat), hear and feel
  • My Job – even though I am a wits end with twits I have to work with
  • Intelligence – to be able to make good decisions, to have logical thought and to use it to make money
  • Technology – what was life like without a computer?
  • Car – it’s such a good stress relief
  • Jamaica – a beautiful little country that needs to work on its corruption issues
  • Hardship – it builds character and makes us stronger individuals

As sucky as we might think life is sometimes, we have a lot going for us. What are you thankful for?

No comments: