Thursday, May 14, 2009

Woman skydives to mark 70th birthday

I want to do something exciting like this but not wait until I am 70. This woman gets mad props. I cannot imagine my mom who is 1 year shy of her age doing this. LOL

OGDEN, Utah - A Utah woman who survived a bout of potent-ially deadly West Nile virus says she celebrated her 70th birthday by skydiving with family and friends. Fay Andrews, who suffered from West Nile two years ago, said she celebrated her Monday birthday early by jumping out of a Cessna 208 Saturday alongside her grandson, grandnephews, grandniece and a friend while a crowd of 30 friends and family members looked on from the Ogden-Hinckley Airport, the Salt Lake Tribune reported. "When I was a little girl, somewhere in the back of my mind I wanted to jump from an airplane," Andrews said. "The idea must have stuck there." "It was wonderful," she told the assembled crowd after the jump. "You should try it." Andrews said her bout with West Nile virus left her hospitalized for five days and she required a month of rehabilitation to relearn how to walk and use her left arm. "I was in so much misery that I wanted to die," she said. "Then a friend pushed me and I decided that I was going to start living. I did everything I could to get better, including positive affirmations. I told myself over and over, 'Yes I can,' 'I can get healthy,' and 'I am healthy.'"

No comments: